|Shrubs - Advanced|
| South American Division
|| Skill Level 2
Year of Introduction: 2012
1. Have the Shrubs honor.
This Wiki has a page with instructions and tips for earning the Shrubs honor.
2. Know what decorative shrubs are and discover at least one technique for decorating shrubs.
3. Care for a shrub for at least one month and report on the different methods of care.
4. Give three examples of the following types of shrubs:
a. Flowering shrubs
This is similar to Question 3 in the basic honor. These shrubs grow in many areas. The table below indicates where the plants grow in the wild, and where they are cultivated. This can be a starting point for your investigation of what grows in your area.
|Azalea||North America, Asia, Europe, Australia||Worldwide|
|Clematis||Temperate Zones, Worldwide||Temperate Zones, Worldwide|
|Forsythia||Asia, Europe||North America|
|Mountain Laurel||Eastern North America|
b. Fruit shrubs
Similar to Question 2 in the basic honor. Some important fruit shrubs include:
- Highbush blueberry
- Lowbush blueberry
- Red Currant
- Black Currant
Even if people do not eat the food these shurbs provide, they are an important source of food for wildlife.
5. Observe a shrub for at least one month and report on as many insects possible (at least three) that come to find pollen or nectar in the flowers.
6. Name three important foods, wild or cultivated, found in shrubs in your area.
We don't know what area you live in, but consult the list of food shrubs under Question 4b for some possibilities. You might consider what shrubs are farmed and what wild shrubs provided food for native populations.
7. List at least 60 different kinds of shrubs and collect, preserve and correctly identify flowers, leaves, seeds, seed pods or branches with buds of 20 shrubs mentioned in your list.
This is an expansion of the final Shrubs honor requirement. Expand your collection.
Note on Availability
While this is a South American honor, there is no reason any Pathfinder can't earn it and show the accomplishment by adding an Advanced Honor star to the Shrub honor patch.