Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Swimming/Swimming Safety
From Pathfinder Wiki
- Never swim alone. Always swim with a buddy.
- Do not swim unless there are adults present.
- Do not dive into water until you know that it is deep enough and free from debris
- On beaches, rivers, and lakes, wear protective footwear. This will guard against broken glass, sharp rocks, etc
- Never pretend to be drowning
- If swimming in an area monitored by a life guard, stay in the life guard's view.
- Do not chew gum or eat food while swimming.
- Stay clear of diving boards. A diver may not see you.
- Do not engage in horseplay, jump on, or dunk another swimmer.
- Do not run in a pool area.
- Pool areas should be fenced in to keep toddlers out. Keep the gate closed!
- Obey the rules established for the swimming area.
- Only swim in areas where swimming is allowed.
- If caught in a riptide, swim parallel to shore. Riptides are narrow, so you should be able to swim out of the current by swimming across it.
- Do not swim out farther than you can swim out. Remember that you are more tired when you get out there than when you started, so be conservative. Do not overestimate your abilities.
- Do not swim during stormy weather.
- Do not rely on inflatable toys as life preservers. If you try to cross a large body of water on an air mattress and it springs a leak, you could be in serious trouble. Never go farther out on one of these than you can swim back.