Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Health and Science/Respiratory System
From Pathfinder Wiki
| South American Division
|| Skill Level 2
Year of Introduction: 2012
- 1 1. What are the structures that make up the respiratory system? Illustrate and describe the main functions of each.
- 2 2. Are the right and left lungs the same? What is the anatomical difference between them?
- 3 3. What are the two main gases of the body? What is gas exchange? Describe the conductive airways up to the point of gas exchange.
- 4 4. What is an alveolus and what is its function? Illustrate an alveolus by means of drawings or figures, demonstrating the moment of gas exchange.
- 5 5. What is the main function of cilia, including motile cilia?
- 6 6. What is the relationship between cellular respiration and pulmonary respiration?
- 7 7. Explain how the circulatory and respiratory systems are intimately linked.
- 8 8. What is the importance of hemoglobin and iron for the oxygenation of the body?
- 9 9. Describe in detail the movements of inspiration and exhalation. Which is the importance of the diaphragm muscle for these movements?
- 10 10. Which organ of the central nervous system controls breathing? Why?
- 11 11. What is the normal respiratory rate of:
- 12 12. Define the following terms about respiratory alterations:
- 13 13. Study the following respiratory diseases and describe for each: how it occurs/is acquired, transmission (if that is the case), treatment and prevention:
- 14 14. Research the effects of smoking on the respiratory system. Present your results in one of the following ways:
- 15 15. Conduct a survey in your region or state, comparing the quality indices of the air. How can these indices be improved? What can you do to improve them?
- 16 References