Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Nature/Estuaries
From Pathfinder Wiki
| South American Division
|| Skill Level 1
Year of Introduction: 2012
- 1 1. What is an estuary?
- 2 2. Name three kinds of estuaries and give an example of each.
- 3 3. How is the length of an estuary measured?
- 4 4. What factors cause estuaries to be the most vulnerable biomes in the world?
- 5 5. Explain why estuaries are greatly productive and ecologically diverse.
- 6 6. Why are estuaries important for a balanced ecosystem?
- 7 7. Name at least one way an estuary forms.
- 8 8. Know at last three ways estuaries benefit mankind.
- 9 9. There are estuaries with both fresh and salt water. What are the fish called that can survive in this environment? Give five examples.
- 10 10. Name three birds and a mammal that live in estuaries within your region or country.
- 11 11. State at least two factors that make mangrove vegetation suitable for tropical estuaries.
- 12 12. Name at least three kinds of mangroves commonly found in tropical estuaries.
- 13 13. Name five recreational activities that can be done in regions with estuaries that do not cause damage or contamination.
- 14 14. Which estuary is closest to your home?
- 15 15. Complete one of the following activities:
- 15.1 a. Visit an estuary. During your visit, look for signs of environmental conservation or degradation. With a group, under the supervision of a leader, organize a project of estuary preservation and implement it.
- 15.2 b. Read a book or watch a video about estuaries. Do some research and write a report on fifteen different estuaries found worldwide. It should include: name of the estuary, location, current conservation status and possible reasons for its status, photographs, etc. Cite your sources of research.
- 16 References