Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Recreation/Juggling
| North American Division
|| Skill Level 1
Year of Introduction: 2019
- 1 1. Explain the following:
- 2 2. Safety:
- 3 3. Know what siteswap notation is and be able to explain the following patterns:
- 4 4. Know this additional siteswap notation:
- 5 5. Explain the following:
- 6 6. Watch a video of three professional jugglers practicing their craft.
- 7 7. Passing theory and practice:
- 8 8. Complete two of the four following items:
- 9 9. How can juggling be used for evangelism or ministry?
- 10 References
1. Explain the following:
a. The difference between a flash and a juggle
A flash is throwing the objects and catching them only once. A juggle is throwing and catching each object twice.
b. The difference between a cascade and a fountain
A cascade goes to the opposite hand (like a 3 ball pattern), while a fountain goes to the same hand (like two balls in 1 hand or a 4 ball pattern).
a. What are appropriate things to juggle?
Balls, disks, clubs, objects that don’t break or can’t hurt you.
b. What are not appropriate things to juggle?
Professional jugglers will juggle very dangerous things such as knives, flaming torches and sharp objects. You should stay away from these and practice safe choices for juggling.
3. Know what siteswap notation is and be able to explain the following patterns:
The following video gives a good and detailed explanation of what siteswap is and how it is calculated.
3 (3 ball juggling)
4 (4 ball juggling)
441 (3 ball U shape)
53 (4 ball half shower)
4. Know this additional siteswap notation:
55500 (3 up)
52512 (baby juggling pattern)
51 (3 ball shower)
5. Explain the following:
a. How can you tell how many balls are in a siteswap pattern?
The numbers in the sequence are added then divided by how many numbers are in the sequence; for example 543 would be 5 + 4 + 3 = 12, 12 ÷ 3 = 4
b. Why is 352 an invalid pattern?
3 + 5 + 2 = 10, 10 ÷ 3 = 3⅓; you can’t have a fraction of a ball.
c. Why is 351 an invalid pattern?
Looking at the sequence timing diagram, the 3 and the 1 will collide. In contrast, a 531 pattern is valid.
6. Watch a video of three professional jugglers practicing their craft.
Anthony Gatto is a famous and expert juggler. He is very talented. Here is a video of him practicing:
7. Passing theory and practice:
a. What is a 3 count pattern? Why is it a common pattern for beginners?
You throw to yourself for 3 throws then pass to your partner. The pattern looks like:
where S is throw to yourself, and P is a Pass
b. What is a slow start?
Where you start the pattern throwing to yourself, ex. SSSPSSSPSSSP
c. What is a fast start?
Where you start with a pass, ex. PSSSPSSSPSSS
8. Complete two of the four following items:
a. Juggle 3 balls for at least 15 catches
b. Juggle 2 balls in 1 hand
c. Flash 4 balls
d. Pass with another person for at least 12 catches
9. How can juggling be used for evangelism or ministry?