AY Honor Health and Healing Requirements
1. Be in at least the eighth grade.
2. Through the Bible and/or Spirit of Prophecy learn how Jesus healed the sick and the procedure for church elders to use to anoint the sick and ask God for healing. Write a 250-word report or give a two-minute oral report on what you learned.
3. What is continuing education as related to health careers?
4. Interview at least two people who work in a medical health career. One of the two must be someone other than a doctor or nurse, such as someone working in dentistry, physical therapy, respiratory therapy, radiology, nutrition, etc. In your interview ask the following questions:
- a. Why did you choose your profession?
- b. What education is necessary to enter your profession?
- c. After education, what amount of time does it take to become certified or proficient in your field?
- d. What part of your job do you like the best? The least?
- e. What day of the week and hours per day do you work at your job?
- f. What advancement is available in your field?
- g. What course of study in college would complement your chosen profession?
- h. List local schools that offer training in your profession?
5. Do one of the following:
- a. Be a candy striper or a page in a hospital or medical facility.
- b. Visit a medical or dental office and do the following:
- (1) Observe the areas of operation, such as the business office, laboratory, examining rooms, x-ray room, etc.
- (2) Be introduced to the equipment used in the office.
- (3) Learn the steps of an office visit from when a patient comes into the waiting room until the time he leaves the office.
- (4) Learn how the doctor does an examination from the taking of the patient's history to the diagnosis.
- c. Go on a visit with a home nurse and do the following:
- (1) Learn the steps of a home visit from when the nurse finds out about the patient to when the nurse reports to a doctor.
- (2) Observe the nurse taking the vital signs.
- (3) Observe the nurse giving instructions and medication.
- d. Visit an outpatient department of a hospital, such as physical therapy, x-ray, laboratory, etc. Do the following:
- (1) Observe the areas of operation in the department.
- (2) Be introduced to the equipment used in the department and how it works.
- (3) Learn the steps a patient takes when visiting the department.
- (4) How many people does it take to staff the department?
- (5) Does the department operate at night?