Visual Media Critique
Year of Introduction:
2. Read Patriarchs and Prophets, chapter 41, The Apostasy at Jordan, the two paragraphs beginning with “Keep thy heart with all diligence …”. Discuss how this relates to visual media consumption and how your senses and your awareness of the surroundings are impacted.
3. Compare and contrast the various ratings systems for video games, movies, and television programs with the guidance provided in Philippians 4:8.
4. Discuss the importance of parental involvement in the selection of media.
5. Discuss the impact violence in visual media plays in shaping society and its expectations.
6. Follow the current news for three days and evaluate the sources and accuracy of what has been reported. Evaluate on a scale of one to five where each report falls, with one representing pure entertainment and five representing strictly informational news. Prepare and present your findings to your group.
7. Search the writings of Ellen White for counsel on the wise use of time. Select and read a passage discovered during your search.
9. View a media presentation with your family. After the viewing, interview your family members using the following questions:
a. Did you find the presentation entertaining?
b. Did you learn anything valuable?
c. Would you watch the presentation again? Why or why not?
d. Did you feel your time was well spent in watching the media?