|*Edits to the Pathfinder Wiki will be disabled on July 27, 2021 in preparation for an upgrade. The upgrade is scheduled to take place on August 3, 2021. During the upgrade, we expect the Wiki to be available only intermittently. Once the upgrade is complete, users will again be able to perform edits. Thanks!|
*Las ediciones al Wiki de Conquistadores se desactivarán el 27 de julio de 2021 en preparación para una actualización. La actualización está programada para el 03 de agosto de 2021. Durante la actualización, esperamos que el Wiki esté disponible solo de forma intermitente. Una vez que se complete la actualización, los usuarios podrán volver a realizar ediciones. ¡Gracias!
Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Recreation/Drilling & Marching - Advanced
|Drilling & Marching - Advanced|
| General Conference
|| Skill Level 2
Year of Introduction: 1976
- 1 1. Have the Drilling and Marching Honor.
- 2 2. With a unit guidon, demonstrate the following basic positions:
- 3 3. Demonstrate how and when to use the guidon's basic position during all drill commands.
- 4 4. Be a member of an active drill team that has performed at least twice in the past year in a special community, conference, or public activity.
- 5 5. Demonstrate ability to keep in step with the drill team and move as a part of it at all times.
- 6 6. As a member of a drill team, do four fancy (precision) drill routines, at least one of which includes combination commands.
- 7 7. Command a drill team of at least four people, putting the team through basic maneuvers, starting directional commands on the proper foot, and distinguishing between preparatory commands and commands of execution.
- 8 8. Command an entire Pathfinder Club in at least ten basic drill movements, including Open Ranks.
- 9 9. With a unit (or a selected flag guard), formally raise and lower the national flag at a summer camp ceremony, a special Pathfinder meeting, Pathfinder Day program, camporee, or some similar program or ceremony. Also demonstrate posting the national and Pathfinder flag.
- 10 References
Earning this honor meets a requirement for:
1. Have the Drilling and Marching Honor.
This Wiki has a page with instructions and tips for earning the Drilling & Marching honor.
2. With a unit guidon, demonstrate the following basic positions:
a. Order Guidon
Order Guidon is basically like standing at ATTENTION. The guidon rests on the ground next to your right foot. The staff of the guidon is held between your thumb and index finger and rests against your shoulder. Your right arm should remain behind the staff of the guidon. When doing ABOUT FACE, LEFT FACE, or RIGHT FACE, lift the guidon 1 or 2 inches off the ground while turning and then return the guidon to the ground as before.
b. Carry Guidon
Carry Guidon refers to how a guidon is to be held while moving. When FORWARD MARCH is called the guidon is lifted 6 inches off the ground. When the drill instructor calls "FORWARD" you lift the guidon 6 inches with your right arm, then hold the guidon staff with your left arm reaching across your chest while sliding your right hand back down 6 inches to hold the guidon while marching. When the drill instructor calls "MARCH" you then drop your left arm back to your side while stepping forward with your left foot (just as you would when marching any other time). To lower the guidon when finished moving (when the drill instructor calls HALT), take your left arm across your chest to steady the guidon and then let it gently slide to the ground. Once the guidon is resting on the ground again, drop your left arm back to your side.
c. Salute at Order
d. Salute at Carry
e. Present Guidon
Present Guidon continues further from the position of "Raised Guidon." On the command of execution for PRESENT ARMS or EYES RIGHT, gently lower the guidon staff forward from the "Raised Guidon" position until it is horizontal with the guidon staff resting under your right armpit. Then return your left hand to your side. When doing EYES RIGHT don't forget to not only present the guidon, but also turn your head to the right as well. When lowering the guidon from presentation, grasp the guidon staff with your left hand and raise it to the position of "Raised Guidon" at the preparatory command. When the command of execution is called, lower the guidon to either the carry position or the rest position.
f. Raise Guidon
Raise Guidon is the act of lifting the guidon from the order position. To raise the guidon, lift the staff with your right hand until it reaches your right shoulder. Reach across your chest with your left arm (make sure your palm is facing towards your body) to steady the guidon as it is being raised. Keep your right elbow at your side while executing a command. To lower the guidon, gently let the staff slide to the ground and then return your left arm to your side.