|*Edits to the Pathfinder Wiki will be disabled on July 27, 2021 in preparation for an upgrade. The upgrade is scheduled to take place on August 3, 2021. During the upgrade, we expect the Wiki to be available only intermittently. Once the upgrade is complete, users will again be able to perform edits. Thanks!|
*Las ediciones al Wiki de Conquistadores se desactivarán el 27 de julio de 2021 en preparación para una actualización. La actualización está programada para el 03 de agosto de 2021. Durante la actualización, esperamos que el Wiki esté disponible solo de forma intermitente. Una vez que se complete la actualización, los usuarios podrán volver a realizar ediciones. ¡Gracias!
Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Vocational/Visual Media Critique
From Pathfinder Wiki
| North American Division
|| Skill Level 2
Year of Introduction: 2016
- 1 1. As a group create a list of the various types of visual media. Then participate in an in-depth discussion on how varying types of media can be used to spread the gospel of Christ. Present a summary of your discussion to a different group, or share your conclusions online.
- 2 2. Read Patriarchs and Prophets chapter 41, The Apostasy at Jordan, the two paragraphs beginning with “Keep thy heart with all diligence …”. Discuss how this relates to visual media consumption and how your senses and your awareness of the surroundings are impacted.
- 3 3. Compare and contrast the various ratings systems for video games, movies, and television programs with the guidance provided in Philippians 4:8.
- 4 4. Discuss the importance of parental involvement in the selection of media.
- 5 5. Discuss the impact violence in visual media plays in shaping society and its expectations.
- 6 6. Follow the current news for three days and evaluate the sources and accuracy of what has been reported. Evaluate on a scale of one to five where each report falls, with one representing pure entertainment, and five represents strictly informational news. Prepare and present your findings to your group.
- 7 7. Search the writings of Ellen White for counsel on the wise use of time. Select and read a passage discovered during your search.
- 8 8. Keep a detailed record of the amount of time and types of all visual media you consume during a four day period. Include the following data in your records:<br\> a. Time spent viewing b. Media rating and rating organization (if available) c. The plot or theme d. Purity of content vs sexual and/or violent themes e. The message that was presented by the media. Prepare a graph or chart illustrating your findings. What changes, if any, do you need to make to your viewing habits? Evaluate how being a Christian should affect your use of media. Be detailed and honest, taking into account what you have experienced in this honor. Share your evaluation in a letter, report, or journal with a trusted friend or leader.
- 9 9. View a media presentation with your family. After the viewing, interview your family members using the following questions: a. Did you find the presentation entertaining? b. Did you learn anything valuable? c. Would you watch the presentation again? Why or why not? d. Did you feel your time was well spent in watching the media?
- 10 10. Create a speech, presentation, or game that shows what you have learned about the critique of visual media while earning this honor. Share this presentation with a group.
- 11 References