AY Honor Automobile Mechanics - Advanced Requirements used by North American Division
1. Have the Automobile Mechanics honor.
2. Briefly explain the following concepts:
- a. The difference between a supercharger and a turbo
- b. The difference between staggered wheels and non-staggered wheels
- c. The difference between alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC)
- d. The difference between horsepower and torque
3. Describe how an anti-lock braking system (ABS) operates.
4. Briefly explain how to do each of the following:
- a. Read the manufacture date on a tire.
- b. Determine the tire size and pressure as recommended by the manufacturer for a selected vehicle.
- c. Measure tire wear and determine the remaining life of a tire.
5. Describe how a rear axle differential functions.
6. Briefly explain the differences between the following types of brake rotors:
- a. Smooth brake rotors
- b. Slotted brake rotors
- c. Cross-drilled brake rotors
- d. Cross-drilled & slotted brake rotors
7. Briefly explain the difference between a wheel alignment and tire balancing.
8. Briefly describe the following types of engines:
- a. Straight
- b. V-engine
- c. W-engine
- d. Rotary engine
- e. Boxer engine
9. Know how to replace the brake assembly at the wheel, following proper safety procedures. Demonstrate proper brake bleeding and adjustment.
10. Perform a minor tune-up, including the replacement of spark plugs and visually checking the electrical system.