AY Honor Basic Sewing Requirements
1. Describe the proper use of the following:
- a. Thimble
- b. Tape measure
- c. Scissors and shears
- d. Pinking shears
- e. Needles of various sizes and types
2. Become acquainted with the sewing machine in your home or school. Identify:
- a. Balance wheel
- b. Thread take-up
- c. Presser foot
- d. Presser foot lifter
- e. Needle
- f. Feed dogs
- g. Bobbin
- h. Control
- i. Backspace lever
3. Demonstrate how to properly thread and run the machine.
4. Put a hem in one of the following items showing neat and even stitches:
- a. Towel
- b. Apron
- c. Flannel baby blanket
- d. Flannel lap blanket
5. Demonstrate your ability to properly sew on buttons and snaps.
6. Tell what is meant by selvage, bias, and grain of fabric.
7. Make a laundry bag for camping, or a similar simple item.