AY Honor Flower Culture Requirements
1. Define each of the following:
- a. Perennials
- b. Annuals
- c. Biennials
2. Give general instructions for making a hotbed. What is the difference between a hotbed and a cold frame?
3. What is drainage? Of what importance is it?
4. Name three plant pests and tell how to control them.
5. Give instructions for making a window box and tell its use.
6. Prepare the soil, fertilize, plant, and grow to maturity three different kinds of annuals.
7. Care for two or more perennial flowers growing outdoors for one season by fertilizing, watering, weeding, and treating for pests as needed. Maintain a written record with weekly entries, listing work done.
8. Which three plant nutrients are most important to flowering plants?
9. Identify three flowering plants adapted to each of the following conditions:
- a. Shade
- b. Dry soil
- c. Full sun
- d. Moist soil
10. What is the purpose of a soil test?
11. Make a picture collection of ten annuals, five perennials, and two biennials. Label and know the name of each from memory.