AY Honor Hydroponics and Aquaponics - Advanced Requirements
1. Have or earn the Hydroponics and Aquaponics honor.
2. Define the following and their importance as related to hydroponics or aquaponics:
- a. Micronutrients
- b. Macronutrients
- c. Nitrate
- d. Aquaculture
- e. Companion Planting
3. How does aquaponics work? Describe the relationship between the plants, water, fish, waste, and bacteria.
4. What is “pH” and how does it affect the plants in a hydroponic or aquaponic system? Measure the pH of some water and demonstrate how the pH can be raised and lowered.
5. Draw the cycle of a hydroponic system and an aquaponic system. Describe the differences between both systems. Use your drawings to explain why the hydroponics system requires continuous close monitoring and the aquaponic system does not.
6. Research the requirements for organic certification. What benefits come with organic certification?
7. Using your own plans, design and build a hydroponic system and an aquaponic system, successfully operating them until harvest. Keep a record of the care of both systems and compare and contrast their yields.
8. On your own or with a group, create and carry out a plan to use hydroponics or aquaponics as a way to share your faith. Report to your club and/or congregation the results of sharing your faith.