AY Honor Mountains Requirements
1. Define the following terms:
- a. Orology
- b. Mountain
- c. Mountain range
- d. Magma
- e. Volcano
2. Tell three ways mountains have been formed.
3. Choose ten mountains, including 2 from near where you live, and tell what each one's name is, what its height is, where it is located, and what mountain range (if any) it is a part of. Try to choose mountains from as many different countries as possible.
4. Match each description to its correct answer:
|(1) Underwater mountain range that goes around the world||(a) Aconcagua|
|(2) Highest mountains of each continent||(b) Mt. Everest|
|(3) Highest mountain in South America||(c) Himalaya|
|(4) Tallest mountain on earth||(d) Mt. Mayon|
|(5) Worlds longest mountain range||(e) Ocean Ridge|
|(6) Highest mountain in Japan||(f) Damavand|
|(7) Highest volcano in Asia||(g) Mt. McKinley|
|(8) Indians call it Denali, “The Great One”||(h) Seven Summits|
|(9) Mountain known for its “perfect cone”||(i) Andes|
|(10) Range with the highest mountains on earth||(j) Mt. Fuji|
5. List at least four mountains mentioned in the Bible and tell what important events took place there:
- a. Ararat
- b. Mt. Carmel
- c. Mt. Sinai
- d. Mt. Nebo
6. Do the following activity:
- a. Visit a mountain, and tell about your experience in one of these ways:
- i. Tell someone a story about your visit
- ii. Write a narrative story about your visit
- iii. Make a video or Powerpoint presentation about your visit
- iv. Make a picture scrapbook about your visit (this may be a group project)
- b. If there is NOT a mountain in your state/province, you may watch a video about mountains.
- i. summarize the video
- ii. Create a multimedia presentation about the video
- iii. Create a 3-D model of a mountain/volcano and demonstrate its eruption.
7. Choose one of the following verses about mountains and recite it:
- a. Psalm 90:2
- b. Isaiah 52:7
- c. Isaiah 55:12
8. Create a game or activity based on the terminology and mountains learned about in this honor.