AY Honor Small Fruit Growing Requirements
1. What are the soil requirements for growing bramble berries, strawberries, grapes, and blueberries?
2. Write a one-page report telling how to grow one of the above fruits. Include the following:
- a. Variety selection
- b. Soil preparation
- c. Planting techniques
- d. Fertilizing
- e. Pruning (where applicable)
- f. Watering
- g. Pest control
- h. Harvesting
3. Name three varieties of each fruit that will grow well in your area.
4. Prune two blueberry bushes, two grape vines, or a ten-foot row of bramble berries at the proper time in the family garden or for a friend or neighbor.
5. What is a perishable crop?
6. How long can strawberries, bramble berries, blueberries, and grapes be stored?
7. Describe a serious insect or disease pest for each fruit. Include when the problem occurs, damage caused, and chemical or cultural treatments. Use as many pictures or drawings as possible.
8. Take a soil test from a garden and determine which fruits will grow there. Ask for fertilizer recommendations for one of the crops and determine the cost of fertilizer needed for six 100-foot (30.5 meters) rows.