AY Honor Stars Requirements used by South Pacific Division
1. Answer the following questions:
- a. Of what is the solar system composed?
- b. What is the earth’s nearest celestial neighbour?
- c. What is the distance?
- a. Draw a diagram showing relative positions and movements of the earth and moon in relation to the sun.
- b. What governs the tide?
- c. What causes an eclipse?
- d. What is a shooting star?
- e. What is a comet?
3. How fast does light travel?
- a. Name and identify eight stars.
- b. What is the difference between planets and fixed stars?
- a. What is a constellation?
- b. Name and identify six.
- c. What two constellations are visible throughout the year?
6. Draw a chart of the Southern Cross, Triangulum and the pointers at intervals of three hours throughout the night.
7. Observe a sunrise and a sunset, and describe each.
- a. What is the Milky Way?
- b. Give its course through the heavens.
- a. What is the morning and evening star?
- b. Why does it carry both names?
10. Name the planets in order of their nearness to the sun.
- a. What is the Aurora?
- b. What name is given to the Northern Lights?
- a. Where does the Bible refer to Orion?
- b. Learn one reference by memory.
- c. Read the statement made in Early Writings page 41, concerning Orion and tell what event it is connected with.