AY Honor Chemistry
From Pathfinder Wiki
The Challenging Part
The most challenging requirement of this honor is probably this:
5. Do five of the following, and explain the chemical action that takes place:
- a. Try to light a sugar cube, first without and then with some ash applied to the cube, thus showing the action of a catalyst.
- b. Place an ice cube in a glass of water, place a four-inch (10.2 cm) string on top of the glass and ice, then solve the problem of taking the ice cube out of the water without touching it.
- c. With the use of water, turpentine, and soap, transfer a newspaper picture to a blank sheet of paper.
- d. With the use of a candle and a piece of cardboard, demonstrate visually the three parts of a candle flame.
- e. With a bowl of water, wooden match sticks, a lump of sugar, and small amount soap, demonstrate the action of sugar and soap on the floating match sticks.
- f. Place a fresh egg in fresh water and then salt water, noting the difference.
- g. Demonstrate that rust uses up oxygen with the use of steel wool, a pencil, a rubber band, a water glass, and a dish of water.
- h. Demonstrate the colors produced when the following are burned: salt, copper sulfate, and boric acid.
- i. Make an invisible ink.
- j. Show that washing soda or sodium carbonate contains water.