|*Edits to the Pathfinder Wiki will be disabled on July 27, 2021 in preparation for an upgrade. The upgrade is scheduled to take place on August 10, 2021. During the upgrade, we expect the Wiki to be available only intermittently. Once the upgrade is complete, users will again be able to perform edits. Thanks!|
*Las ediciones al Wiki de Conquistadores se desactivarán el 27 de julio de 2021 en preparación para una actualización. La actualización está programada para el 10 de agosto de 2021. Durante la actualización, esperamos que el Wiki esté disponible solo de forma intermitente. Una vez que se complete la actualización, los usuarios podrán volver a realizar ediciones. ¡Gracias!
Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Outreach/African American Adventist Heritage in the NAD - Advanced
|African American Adventist Heritage in the NAD - Advanced|
| North American Division
|| Skill Level 2
Year of Introduction: 2010
- 1 The purpose of this honor is to illustrate how God has led within the Adventist church to share His message through the events, places, and contributions of the people of a specific cultural group.
- 2 1. Have the African American Adventist Heritage in NAD honor.
- 3 2.Prepare presentations based on your research in two of the following:
- 3.1 a. Trace the journey of the Morning Star from the beginning launch in Allegan, Michigan in 1894 until it was beached in the 1900’s. Include a time line.
- 3.2 b. The history of the forming of one of the Regional Conferences and the location of its present administrative offices and its executive administrators. Include photos, dates, and bulletins where available.
- 3.3 c. One of the following leaders and their contributions to the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- 3.4 Your presentation may be in the form of any of the following, citing all sources used: a. Electronic presentation b. Bulletin Board/Presentation Board display c. Verbal presentation d. Written Report (minimum of one-page)
- 4 References
This explanation provides context to the Honor and forms part of the official requirements.
1. Have the African American Adventist Heritage in NAD honor.
This Wiki has a page with instructions and tips for earning the African American Adventist Heritage in the NAD honor.
2.Prepare presentations based on your research in two of the following:
a. Trace the journey of the Morning Star from the beginning launch in Allegan, Michigan in 1894 until it was beached in the 1900’s. Include a time line.
This article gives a few details: http://messagemagazine.com/index.php/message-magazine-2008-janfeb/255-the-morning-star-boat but is not a complete timeline. Search out the information.
This book may be useful:
Mission to Black America; the true story of Edson White and the riverboat Morning Star, Author: Ronald D Graybill Publisher: Mountain View, Calif., Pacific Press Pub. Association 
b. The history of the forming of one of the Regional Conferences and the location of its present administrative offices and its executive administrators. Include photos, dates, and bulletins where available.
There are nine regional conferences in the North American Division. The website of each conference will help you gather some of the required information as will the listing for the conference at http://www.adventistyearbook.org/default.aspx? You might also search for history at http://www.adventistarchives.org The Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia (any Adventist Church or School library will have this book, part of the SDA Commentary set) will have useful entries for each conference and some of the individuals in the next requirement.
c. One of the following leaders and their contributions to the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
E. E. Cleveland
W. H. Green
Calvin B. Rock
Calvin E. Moseley
Resources for your presentation include:
- Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia
- Published biographies of some of these individuals (check your Adventist library for older books or the ABC for more current books)
- Articles in Adventist Magazines
- Internet searches - try adding "Adventist" to the name when searching to filter out similarly named people from the results.
Your presentation may be in the form of any of the following, citing all sources used:
a. Electronic presentation
b. Bulletin Board/Presentation Board display
c. Verbal presentation
d. Written Report (minimum of one-page)
While at first glance this Honor looks like it requires a lot of work, in fact it simply offers a lot of choice in how you complete it.
We interpret this Honor to require two research projects out of three categories. You might choose a regional conference and a prominent person or a person plus the Morning Star. Or perhaps the Morning Star plus a regional conference history. We do not believe two persons or two conference histories would meet the requirement.
While not explicitly stated, we believe that two different presentations (ie two papers or two verbal reports or some combination) are required. However you might give both presentations back to back.
Since the point of the requirements is to get YOU to research and put the results in your own presentation, we will not provide complete presentations here. Instead we point you to sources that will be helpful to complete your presentations. We have provided some resources already, and we encourage you to add the resources you find useful to this wiki to help others who are working on this requirement.
If you choose to do a verbal presentation, why not put it in story form and include it in your efforts to earn the Christian Storytelling Honor?
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found