|*Edits to the Pathfinder Wiki will be disabled on July 27, 2021 in preparation for an upgrade. The upgrade is scheduled to take place on August 10, 2021. During the upgrade, we expect the Wiki to be available only intermittently. Once the upgrade is complete, users will again be able to perform edits. Thanks!|
*Las ediciones al Wiki de Conquistadores se desactivarán el 27 de julio de 2021 en preparación para una actualización. La actualización está programada para el 10 de agosto de 2021. Durante la actualización, esperamos que el Wiki esté disponible solo de forma intermitente. Una vez que se complete la actualización, los usuarios podrán volver a realizar ediciones. ¡Gracias!
Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Recreation/Wind Surfing
| General Conference
|| Skill Level 2
Year of Introduction: 1986
- 1 1. Have the Intermediate Swimming Honor.
- 2 2. Learn the meaning of the following terms:
- 2.1 a. Across the wind
- 2.2 b. Backhand
- 2.3 c. Basic starting position
- 2.4 d. Beginner's checklist
- 2.5 e. Board control
- 2.6 f. Centerboard
- 2.7 g. Center line
- 2.8 h. Center plane
- 2.9 i. Clew
- 2.10 j. Forward
- 2.11 k. Forward hand
- 2.12 l. In
- 2.13 m. Jibe
- 2.14 n. Mast position
- 2.15 o. Out
- 2.16 p. Points of the clock
- 2.17 q. Sail trim
- 2.18 r. Self rescue
- 2.19 s. Scissor technique
- 2.20 t. Tack
- 2.21 u. Uphaul
- 2.22 v. Visual reference point
- 3 3. Know the names of the board parts and demonstrate how to rig your own sail.
- 4 4. Explain the basics of sailing theory.
- 5 5. Define and demonstrate the basic starting position.
- 6 6. Define and demonstrate the four steps to tacking.
- 7 7. Define and demonstrate the four steps to jibing.
- 8 8. List the seven starting sequence steps used to start a sailboard moving through the water.
- 9 9. Answer the following questions about safety:
- 9.1 a. What safety equipment should be worn while wind surfing?
- 9.2 b. Why is it important to know the local weather forecast before going out on the water?
- 9.3 c. When first learning to windsurf, why is it important to be in an enclosed or protected area?
- 9.4 d. What are the hand signals for "Everything is okay" and "I need help"?
- 10 10. How should the sail and sailboard be cared for to keep them in good working order?
- 11 11. Successfully sail a sailboard to a visual point of reference and return to the starting position.
- 12 References
This Honor is a component of the Aquatic Master Award.
1. Have the Intermediate Swimming Honor.
This Wiki has a page with instructions and tips for earning the Swimming - Intermediate honor. . Under NO circumstances should anyone who is not a strong swimmer try windsurfing.
Instructor Recommended: Wind surfing is a water sport done in deep water with equipment and gear that can be difficult to handle for even experienced wind surfers. We strongly suggest learning wind surfing from a qualified instructor. Wind surfing schools will also supply the (often expensive) equipment required for the sport within the lesson fee.
The following answers are presented so you can study up before taking lessons.