AY Honor Cultural Heritage Requirements used by North American Division
1. List 5 reasons why it is important to know about your own cultural heritage and/or reasons to learn about the heritages of others in your community.
2. List special ceremonies that are unique to your culture or of the region from which your family emanates.
3. Draw, illustrate, or provide some media presentation concerning at least two traditions or ceremonies related to special events in your culture.
- a. The birth of a child
- b. Becoming an adult
- c. Marriage
- d. Death and burial
4. Provide a poster or media presentation describing the types of foods and spices that are associated with your culture. Fix three dishes, at least one of which is vegetarian and at least one of which is a dessert, and bring in samples to your club or church group.
5. Provide a media presentation of your choice or model examples of dress for your culture. Please address three modes of outfit:
- a. Traditional ceremonial attire
- b. Traditional everyday life attire
- c. Modern everyday life attire
6. Examine your culture’s traditions with respect to marriage. Do all of the following:
- a. Describe the role of the couple being married with respect to courtship and selecting their spouse.
- b. Describe the role of each betrothed’s family in the wedding ceremony and in the events prior to and following the wedding ceremony.
- c. Compare and contrast your culture’s marriage traditions with modern western culture marriage traditions.
- d. Examine the Bible to find 3 references to marriage traditions of the Jewish culture during the biblical era. Describe how God utilized their allusions to describe God’s relationship with sinners.
7. Examine the historical leadership structure prevalent in your culture and compare and contrast it with the representative democracy present in the North American countries.