AY Honor Disaster Response Requirements used by General Conference
1. Explain the type of damage most likely to occur to homes, individuals, and communities for each of the following major types of disaster, and indicate for each in which parts of the world does it occur most frequently:
- a. Hurricane/Typhoon/Cyclone
- b. Tornado
- c. Floods
- d. Earthquake
- e. Tsunami
- f. Fires
- g. War/Civil conflict
2. Describe briefly the types of services that are provided to survivors of disasters in your country by ADRA or local emergency responders.
3. Read a newspaper or ADRA news report (go to www.adra.org) concerning a recent disaster and discuss some important things to keep in mind when responding to a disaster or emergency.
4. Explain what the letters ADRA stand for and which letter describes ADRA's role as a disaster responder.
5. Describe at least one of these disaster response organizations and how it can work with ADRA during an emergency.
- a. Red Cross
- b. Adventist Community Services (ACS) in the U.S.
- c. United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- d. World Food Programme (WFP)
6. Explain the role of the government when a disaster occurs and identify the key government agency in your nation that manages emergency response.