AY Honor Dressmaking Requirements
1. Have and review the Basic Sewing honor.
2. Have a practical sewing box for your sewing supplies. Include in it a pin cushion, tape measure, pins, needles, thread, scissors, seam gauge and seam ripper.
3. Know how and when to: baste, overcast, zigzag, and blind hem.
4. Identify (a) 5 natural fabrics such as cotton, linen, wool, silk and etc. and (b) synthetic fabrics such as rayon, nylon, dacron and polyester.
5. Show and demonstrate how to straighten fabric before use.
6. Choose a pattern for an item such as a shirt, blouse, skirt or shop apron. Properly lay your pattern on the material, cut it out, and sew your item to completion.