AY Honor Insects
The closer you look at insects, the more there is to learn. Find out which ones are helpful to man, and which ones are harmful!
Investiture Achievement Connection: This Honor is related to the Investiture Achievement requirements for WILDERNESS RANGER Nature Study which require (as one of two options) an insect collection in line with Requirement 1 of this Honor.
The Challenging Part
The most challenging requirement of this honor is probably this:
1. Do one of the following:
- a. Mount a collection of 20 species of insects representing at least six different orders. (no moths or butterflies and no carelessly mounted or broken specimens will be acceptable.)
- i. Place under each specimen a label showing the locality where caught, the date caught, and the collector's name. Labels should not be larger than 1/4 x 3/4 inches (6 mm x 20 mm).
- ii. Identify insects with common names and genus or species level on second labels to be mounted below the first.
- iii. Arrange all specimens neatly in an insect box according to orders and families. Orders should be pinned to the box rather than attached to the individual insect pins.
- b. Make colored drawings or paintings of 20 species of insects, representing at least six different orders. Drawings or paintings need to be life size or larger, to show the details of small insects, and in natural coloring. Label the drawings with common names and genus or species level names.
- c. Take color photographs of 20 species of insects, representing at least six different orders. All pictures should be in focus, close-ups and properly labeled, showing where photographed, the date photographed, common names and genus or species level names.