AY Honor Meteorites Requirements used by General Conference
1. Prerequisite: Earn the Rocks and Minerals honor.
2. What is a meteorite?
3. Explain the difference between a meteorite fall and a find.
4. Explain how meteorites are named.
5. Describe a hypervelocity crater.
6. Identify from images, draw, or photograph the following types of Meteorites. Describe the common shape, size, composition, and method of formation of each type of meteorite.
- a. Chondrites/achondrites
- b. Achondrites
- c. Iron meteorites
7. Identify and classify three notable meteorites, including one found in your country. These may include such named meteorites as Hoba, Willamette, and Allende. What makes each of your chosen meteorites notable?
8. Identify 7 Bible mentions of a meteorite or fiery rock falling from heaven (“stars,” “large stone,” “hailstone” and “brimstone” are common Biblical terms for meteorites). Discuss or describe why you think the Bible mentions meteorites.
9. Do two of the following:
- a. Visit a local museum and identify meteorites that have been gathered form different locations around the world.
- b. Have a local rockhound/meteorite collector visit your group and present meteorites he/she has collected.
- c. Create a display of 10 photos and information about meteorites including significant information learned in this honor.
- d. Create a table game that assists others in learning about meteorites. You may model the game after popular card or board games.