AY Honor Swimming - Advanced Answer Key
Failure to pay attention and horseplay are the main causes of accidents around water. Consuming alcohol and drugs (which no Pathfinder would do) causes most of the rest of the accidents. See the Basic Water Safety Honor for more details.
- Learn to swim before you go into the water. Sounds silly, but many people think it will come naturally, and it really doesn’t.
- Swim near a lifeguard so help is available if you need it.
- Never swim alone.
- Supervise children closely, even when lifeguards are present
- Don't rely on flotation devices, such as rafts, you may lose them in the water.
- Alcohol and swimming don't mix.
- Protect your head, neck, and spine by never jumping or diving into unfamiliar waters.
- As soon as you believe that you may be in trouble, call or wave for help.
- Follow regulations and lifeguard directions.
- Swim parallel to shore if you wish to swim long distances.