|*Edits to the Pathfinder Wiki will be disabled on July 27, 2021 in preparation for an upgrade. The upgrade is scheduled to take place on August 10, 2021. During the upgrade, we expect the Wiki to be available only intermittently. Once the upgrade is complete, users will again be able to perform edits. Thanks!|
*Las ediciones al Wiki de Conquistadores se desactivarán el 27 de julio de 2021 en preparación para una actualización. La actualización está programada para el 10 de agosto de 2021. Durante la actualización, esperamos que el Wiki esté disponible solo de forma intermitente. Una vez que se complete la actualización, los usuarios podrán volver a realizar ediciones. ¡Gracias!
Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Arts and Crafts/Painting
| General Conference
|| Skill Level 2
Year of Introduction: 2013
- 1 1. Have the Basic Drawing Honor
- 2 2. Create a Color wheel using crayon or color pencil. Include and understand:
- 3 3. Create a Value Scale of a warm and a cool color, using color pencil.
- 4 4. Name seven (7) color media.
- 5 5. What is the difference between water based and oil-based paints? Name 2 of each type.
- 6 6. What paint medium was made with egg yolk?
- 7 7. Define the following and tell how they are used:
- 8 8. Describe what the following brushes are used for:
- 9 9. What is the best way to care for paint brushes?
- 10 10. Describe and be able to explain the difference between:
- 11 11. Know the difference and show examples of the following subject matter:
- 12 12. Draw and paint, in your choice of color media, a still life or floral subject.
- 13 13. Paint a landscape showing linear perspective.
- 14 14. Paint a portrait of a friend and/or favorite pet from a photo.
- 15 15. Memorize Psalms 19:1. Discuss how this text inspires your Artwork.
- 16 References
Earning this honor meets a requirement for:
This Honor is a component of the Artisan Master Award.
The Drawing honor was created in 2013 when the NAD Honor Taskforce voted to expand and replace the Drawing and Painting honor with four new honors: Drawing, Drawing - Advanced, Painting, and Painting - Advanced. The new Painting honors adopted the insignia for the old Drawing and Paining honor, and the new Drawing honor received a new insignia.
1. Have the Basic Drawing Honor
This Wiki has a page with instructions and tips for earning the Drawing honor.
2. Create a Color wheel using crayon or color pencil. Include and understand:
a. Primary Colors
RED, BLUE, YELLOW
b. Secondary Colors
mix P + P = ORANGE,GREEN,PURPLE(Violet)
c. Tertiary Colors
mix P + S = YG,GY,GB,BG,BV,VB,VR,RV,OR
d. Neutral Colors
BLACK AND WHITE (GRAY)
e. Warm/Cool Colors
R,Y,O,YG // B,G,P,RV
any color + white
any color + black or it’s complement
h. Complementary colors
colors that are opposite each other on the color wheel.
3. Create a Value Scale of a warm and a cool color, using color pencil.
4. Name seven (7) color media.
- Oil paint
- Conte Crayon
- Acylic paint
- Water Color paint
- Tempera paint
- Color pencils
- Pastels -chalk and oil sticks
5. What is the difference between water based and oil-based paints? Name 2 of each type.
Water based paints: such as water colors, Acrylics and Tempera, have a water base and wash up with soap and water. Oil based paints: oil paint and oil pastels, have a base of oil and must use mineral spirits or turpentine to wash up brushes and tools.
6. What paint medium was made with egg yolk?
7. Define the following and tell how they are used:
- a. Gesso
- a medium painted on canvas before painting to seal the canvas and help the paint to spread and blend better.
- b. Masking fluid (Miskit)
- a substance painted on paper where you want it to stay white; then is erased.
- c. Mineral Spirits/Turpentine
- used for cleaning brushes of oil paint
- d. Palette
- a hard surface for laying out and mixing paint
- e. Easel
- an upright frame to hold canvas on for ease of painting; Supports what you paint on: paper, canvas, canvas board, Masonite board, glass, etc.
8. Describe what the following brushes are used for:
under-painting, washes, rough lay-in, details
loose style, long flexible hairs carry large loads
c. Liner Brush
d. Fan Brush
soft blending, dry-brush blending, foliage, evergreens
e. Mop Brush
washes, dry brush blending, light body paint, watercolor and inks.
9. What is the best way to care for paint brushes?
Wash out under cool water until water runs clear. Shake out excess water and re-shape bristles. Allow to dry bristles up. For oil base paints do the same using mineral spirits or turpentine product instead of water.
10. Describe and be able to explain the difference between:
a. Realistic Art
Looks life-like and natural; easily recognize subject
b. Abstract Art
Not realistic, may or may not be recognizable
11. Know the difference and show examples of the following subject matter:
A person and / or animal; usually head & shoulders
Picture of the land, cityscape or seascape
c. Still Life
Non-living, not moving
Not realistic, may or may not be recognizable
12. Draw and paint, in your choice of color media, a still life or floral subject.
13. Paint a landscape showing linear perspective.
14. Paint a portrait of a friend and/or favorite pet from a photo.
15. Memorize Psalms 19:1. Discuss how this text inspires your Artwork.
|“The heavens declare the glory of God; and the expanse proclaims His handiwork.”|