|*Edits to the Pathfinder Wiki will be disabled on July 27, 2021 in preparation for an upgrade. The upgrade is scheduled to take place on August 10, 2021. During the upgrade, we expect the Wiki to be available only intermittently. Once the upgrade is complete, users will again be able to perform edits. Thanks!|
*Las ediciones al Wiki de Conquistadores se desactivarán el 27 de julio de 2021 en preparación para una actualización. La actualización está programada para el 10 de agosto de 2021. Durante la actualización, esperamos que el Wiki esté disponible solo de forma intermitente. Una vez que se complete la actualización, los usuarios podrán volver a realizar ediciones. ¡Gracias!
Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Vocational/Soap Making
| North American Division
|| Skill Level 3
Year of Introduction: 2018
- 1 1. Have the Soap Craft - Advanced Honor.
- 2 2. Review and list the basic safety equipment needed to make soap.
- 3 3. What is saponification value?
- 4 4. What is superfatting?
- 5 5. Describe the difference between essential oils and fragrance oils.
- 6 6. What can be used to color the soap?
- 7 7. What can be used in place of distilled water when making soap?
- 8 8. At what stage in the soap making process should fragrances, colors, or additives be added?
- 9 9. Define “seize” in terms of soap and what might cause it.
- 10 10. What is the most common temperature to “soap” at?
- 11 11. Explain what 99% rubbing alcohol is used for.
- 12 12. Describe the following techniques in soap making. Collect photos of at least five of them.
- 13 13. Make two batches of soap. Incorporate color, fragrance, or a design technique in each of these:
- 14 14. Explain how long should your soap cure and why.
- 15 15. Complete one of the following:
- 16 16. Make a gift/display basket of some of your soaps that you have made and give it to someone that could really appreciate it. This can either be done by yourself or as a group project (additional items may be included).
- 17 References
Earning this honor meets a requirement for:
NOTE: Soap making has the potential to cause injury, therefore it must be taught by a competent, experienced instructor. Due to the hazards involved and the manual dexterity required, it is recommended that the honor be limited to teens, TLTs, and adult leaders with a ratio of no more than 4-6 students per instructor. This is a very hands-on intense honor. If you are unable to find a qualified instructor, contact the Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild or visit them online to find an instructor in your area.
SAFETY REQUIREMENTS: All participants must wear a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, closed toe shoes, safety glasses, and rubber, latex or nitrile gloves. You may also wear an apron if you wish.
1. Have the Soap Craft - Advanced Honor.
This Wiki has a page with instructions and tips for earning the Soap Craft - Advanced honor.