AY Honor Hiking
Walking in the wilds is one of life's great pleasures. Learn how to do this safely and comfortably while you build endurance for longer and longer distances. Maybe someday you'll hike the Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest, or some other long-distance trail!
Investiture Achievement Connection: This Honor is related to the Investiture Achievement requirements for RANGER Outdoor Living which require completion of Requirements 1-11b of this Honor. Just 3 more hikes and some hike reports and the honor is earned as well. This Honor is one of the optional honors for FRONTIER VOYAGER Outdoor Living requirements. Therefore it may make sense to complete requirements #1-11b and 11e during the Ranger year and then complete the honor during the Voyager year.
The Challenging Part
The most challenging requirement of this honor is probably this:
11. Have the following hiking record:
- a. One five-mile (8 km) rural or town hike
- b. One five-mile ( 8 km) hike on a wilderness trail
- c. Two 10-mile (16.1 km) day hikes on different routes
- d. One 15-mile (24.2 km) hike on a wilderness trail
- e. Within a month of each hike, write a short report, giving dates, routes covered, weather, and any interesting things you saw.