AY Honor Word Processing Requirements
1. Complete the following:
- a. Briefly describe the meaning of the term ‘word processing.’
- b. List the hardware needed for word processing.
2. Demonstrate correct posture while using a keyboard.
3. Demonstrate ability to correctly:
- a. Switch on the hardware and open the word processing software.
- b. Close all documents and software, then shutdown / turn-off all hardware.
4. Demonstrate ability to: (Note that this may be done in conjunction with Requirement 5)
- a. Navigate the computer’s document / file storage system (viz Microsoft’s ‘My Documents’).
- b. Retrieve / open a document from the computer’s document / file storage system.
- c. Create a new folder in the computer’s document / file storage system.
- d. Create a new word-processing document.
- e. Give the new document a suitable file name and save it in the appropriate folder in the computer’s document / file storage system. Explain why it is important to ensure that a document being worked on is continually saved and backed up.
- f. Ensure the document has its file name and its latest revision clearly noted on the document. Explain why it is important to do so.
5. Create a document consisting of no less than 800 words and which demonstrates skill in applying each of the following. Save and print the document. Make a backup copy.
- a. Setting up a document:
- i. Save the document in the appropriate folder. Make a new folder if this is best.
- ii. Set page orientation: portrait or landscape.
- iii. Create a header and footer.
- iv. Set margins.
- v. Insert automatic page numbering in the header or footer.
- vi. Insert the date of the latest revision and the document’s file name in the header or footer.
- b. Formatting a document using the following:
- i. Fonts: Type (ie Arial etc), Size (ie 12 etc), Style (ie bold), Colour & Underlining.
- ii. Text alignment: Left, Centre, Right and Justify.
- iii. Line spacing.
- iv. Lists and bullets.
- v. Numbering of headings.
- c. Editing a document by:
- i. Copying text.
- ii. Moving text.
- iii. Correcting spelling and grammar using auto correct.
- iv. Searching and replacing words or text.
- d. Inserting into a document:
- i. A table with headings and a minimum of 3 columns and 5 rows.
- ii. A picture or Clip Art.